This discussion brief addresses the following questions: What is climate resilience, and what does it look like in the multifamily affordable housing sector?How is climate change relevant to...
Climate Resilience Finance Working Group | June 2020
In our October 2019 discussion brief, our working group outlined why climate resilience is important to all multifamily affordable housing stakeholders and how housing lenders can help drive a strategic shift toward pre-disaster resilience in the sector. In this more in-depth working paper, we explore the following questions.
- What are the challenges to enhancing the climate resilience of multifamily affordable housing?
- How are opportunities to enhance the climate resilience of a specific property identified?
- Once identified, what is needed to fund resilience projects?
- What resilience dividends (i.e. financial value) can housing owners unlock by enhancing resilience in multifamily affordable housing, even without additional incentives?
- What kinds of incentives could lenders, insurers, and the government offer to housing owners that would accelerate investment in resilient multifamily affordable housing?
- What is the role of building codes, certifications, and disclosures in driving resilience upgrades?